Lets bring this great week to a close by processing our work in Granada and bring a more developed project idea back to Barcelona.
Please post the following work by Friday, July 8, 5pm, Category [05B GRX|BCN]
Please do the following work collectively.
INTRODUCTION: Context, Problem and Purpose
- Title: Two-word title
- Purpose Sentences as typed paragraph: What is the problem, how is it applied to Superillas and social interaction? Who is affected (be as specific as possible); Why is it important, including social value? (highlight key words)
- From each Primary category (Uses, Demographic and Infrastructure) choose a secondary category. List qualities (processes) and indicate with a symbol if it is a fixed urban quality or an urban phenomena (human or natural)? Consider 1 indicator for each.
- Choose 1-2 geometry inputs? (parcel area, height, sidewalk width, rail, bike, waterway) Hint: see OSM/ELK. This will lead to unit diagrams at GPS data point locations.
- Small thumbnail pictures and/or narrow texture of swatch of qualitative image/material perhaps hinting at final output. Graphic hints: set the tone for the unit and highlight color here
- Outline: Diagram and or Google Sheet of Purpose / Primary and Secondary categories / Qualities / Indicators (history) / On-site or Off-Site / Fixed or Phenomena
- Literature Review: (3) 2 paragraphs of theory / reading (Password: Barcelona), specific then general. Specific Paragraph 1 (hour glass): 1) idea; 2) citation; 3) further idea. General Paragraph 2: 3 sentences explaining how this applies to your project. **Address ideas from the reading that include: downtown urbanism; Latour’s idea of attachment; Morales’s ideas on how the Eixample Plan Cerda works; Corner’s idea of adaptability with specificity; Jacob’s idea of unpredictability; Schartz’s idea of scenarios; Guallart’s idea of self-sufficiency (post); Jan Gehl’s ideas of walkability (post); or other ideas from the readings.
- Research 22@ / Barcelona problems: 1- 3 recent articles as quotations or informational statistics (El Periodico, El Pais, other) (FYI, City of Barcelona is Ajuntament de Barcelona; Catalan Government is Generalitat).
- UO Case Studies (optional), relevant with operations, workflow diagram, their purpose and plugins (citation as one image) Ex. Intergenerational Interaction PP 2014 or others from Barcelona Urban Design Program.
- Comparative Statistics: Infographics to set a quantitative baseline big picture to small picture indicators to follow
BACKGROUND: Quantitative and Qualitative Baseline (statistics and info-graphics)
- Qualitative media: picture (zoomed in) of your urban design characteristics (criteria)
- Abstract scientific data: measurement of basic relationships, statistics related to measure quality (ex. 6:1 water to urban farming recommendation). Abstract and Baseline models. Ex. Cost of water Barcelona / Granada. Ex. Overnight temperature difference, humidity, income per capita, etc.
- Policy Context: Catalan/Barcelona/ 22@ 10/10/10, BCNecologia_Presentacio Superilles, Patrimonio (Generalitat/Ajuntament) vs comparative city such as Portland, Madrid, EU. Can you find relevant law or ordinances in Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain or the EU
- Planning Diagrams: visualize/organize relationships of your ideas in degrees of time, material, space and real-time data
- Ecology: Bar charts and graphs may also be helpful, especially for quantitative contextualization and possibly comparison.
- Timeline: Identify time relevance in periods (daily, weekly, seasonally, annually, multi-year) Corner Collage / Minard
- GH Plugins: What GH plugins would be helpful (show their icon)?
- Sensors (on-site): What sensors might be helpful? +Find online an example with script and prototype diagram. ++Inventory what you will need.
- Real-time Data (off-site): What databases exist?
Qualities and indicators, plus Icons and Thumbnail image of quality (zoom). Coding for data dictionary. (Quality – conditions)
Insert Assignment 05A: GRX
Unit Module Diagram
- Diagram a base primitive geometry unit approach: Intersection or Street (abstract or scaled)
- Within the unit, create a module diagram testing the location of the indicator data: water catchment, air quality area, zoning use, street-level shop use, street trees, shrubs, running paths, exercise space, bike share station, metro station entrance, etc.
Diagrammatic List of Urban Characteristics / Indicators
- In-situ, 6-8 (indicators), Icons
- Off-Site, 2-4 at the small scale of 33m data point. Examples include: water collection, air pollution source, school, market, water source, etc.- found via municipal, digital, Yelp, Google), Icons
Barcelona Study Area
(unit street and Superilla) – Poblenou / 22@
- Propose three options for a Barcelona block and associated 3 x 3 superilles in or around Poblenous / 22@. (see superilles map at BCNecologia_Presentacio Superilles)
- Exemplary Baseline Comparison area (Gracia, E. Granados, Alhambra, Pati Aigua, etc)
Landscape Catalog (due Monday, July 11): Photograph and catalog materials and urban furniture (high and low). Indicate phenome / phenomena it supports (Alday Jover) using databases on individual Google Drive per student team. (See post to follow of presentation of landscape material cataloging, Corner, McHarg, etc).
Blog category [05.1 Landscape Catalog]
* mapping workflow