Please do the following work individually. We will get into possible groups on Friday, Thursday. Consider composing information below to relate them.
INTRODUCTION: Purpose to Problem
- Title: two words
- Purpose Sentences as typed Paragraph: What is the problem, how is it applied to Superillas and social interaction? Who is affected (be as specific as possible); Why is it important including social value ? (highlight key words)
- From each Primary category (Uses, Demographic and Infrastructure) choose a secondary category. Is each an urban quality or an urban phenomena (human or natural)?
- Consider 1 indicator for each.
- Choose 1-2 geometry inputs? (parcel area, height, sidewalk width, rail, bike, waterway) Hint: see OSM/ELK
- Small thumbnail pictures and/or narrow texture of swatch of qualitative image/material perhaps hinting at final output. Graphic hints: set the tone for the unit and highlight color here
- Outline: Purpose / Primary and Secondary categories (see chart) / Indicators (ways to measure)
- Literature Review: (3) 2 paragraphs of theory / reading (Password: Barcelona), specific then general. Specific Paragraph 1 (hour glass): 1) idea; 2) citation; 3) further idea. General Paragraph 2: 3 sentences explaining how this applies to your project. **Address ideas from the reading that include: downtown urbanism; Latour’s idea of attachment; Morales’s ideas on how the Eixample Plan Cerda works; Corner’s idea of adaptability with specificity; Jacob’s idea of unpredictability; Schartz’s idea of scenarios; Guallart’s idea of self-sufficiency (post); Jan Gehl’s ideas of walkability (post); or other ideas from the readings.
- Research 22@ / Barcelona problems: 1- 3 recent articles as quotations or informational statistics (El Periodico, El Pais, other) (FYI, City of Barcelona is Ajuntament de Barcelona; Catalan Government is Generalitat).
- UO Case Studies (optional), relevant with operations, workflow diagram, their purpose and plugins (citation as one image) Ex. Intergenerational Interaction PP 2014 or others from Barcelona Urban Design Program.
- Comparative Statistics: Infographics to set a quantitative baseline big picture to small picture indicators to follow
BACKGROUND: Quantitative and Qualitative Baseline (statistics and info-graphics)
- Qualitative media: picture (zoomed in) of your urban design characteristics (criteria)
- Abstract scientific data: measurement of basic relationships, statistics related to measure quality (ex. 6:1 water to urban farming recommendation). Abstract and Baseline models.
- Policy Context: Catalan/Barcelona/ 22@ 10/10/10, BCNecologia_Presentacio Superilles, Patrimonio (Generalitat/Ajuntament) vs comparative city such as Portland, Madrid, EU. Can you find relevant law or ordinances in Barcelona, Catalunya, Spain or the EU?
- Timeline: Identify time relevance in periods (daily, weekly, seasonally, annually, multi-year) Corner Collage / Minard
- GH Plugins: What GH plugins would be helpful (show their icon)?
- Sensors (on-site): What sensors might be helpful?
- Real-time Data (off-site): What databases exist?
DATA VISUALIZATION (Assignment 04A Mapping):
- List of initial urban qualities (2 from 108 pt mapping exercise plus 2-4 more )
- Data collection in GH OSM CSV Tools. What are other possible qualities/indicators and respective data collection methods and sensors?
- Initial unit diagrams at the small-scale of conditions.
Wednesday, 15h00 Prepare for Mapping
I will build a Google Doc on the Google Drive. You should make a copy of it with your name in the title. We will go fast! You should test the process before the walk. Consider one phenomena but not two. Create a “data dictionary” to describe each rating:
- Rating (1-5)
- Number (#)
- Typology (convert type to #, ex. 1. Locust Tree)
- Yes/No (1,2)